Hello again Folks,
This week is national Fire Safety Week, so we thought we’d issue a little reminder to you all to :
a) check your own homes – see the advice below from our Fire Dept on what you should have in terms of smoke detectors etc.
b) check your community buildings – if you are holding public events, does your building have the proper Fire Certification? When did you last check your fire exits?
c) look out for vulnerable people in your community – consider getting involved in Muintir na Tire’s Crime Prevention Ambassadors programme, and get out and visit the vulnerable people in your community, delivering advice to them on how to stay safe in their homes from crime, and also from fire, falls etc.
Some Information for you on FIRE SAFETY:
On average 36 people die each year in FIRES in Ireland.
82% of fire fatalities had no working Smoke Alarm.
Smoke Alarms are designed to give you an early warning of a fire. Make sure to:
- Have at least one Smoke Alarm on every level in your home
- Test your smoke alarms at least once a week
- Change the batteries every year
- When the warning beep sounds change the battery immediately
And remember :- Most people who die in fires, die from smoke inhalation and not from burns and it can take as little as 3 minutes to die from smoke inhalation.
If you discover a fire or the smoke alarm sounds, you will only have a short time to get out. If possible:
- Close the door of the room where the fire is
- Get everyone out as quickly as possible and stay out
- Telephone the fire service on 999/ 112 from a neighbour’ s house or mobile phone
- Never go back into a house until the fire service says it is safe to do so
“STOP Fire – Working Smoke Alarms Save Lives”
Throughout Fire Safety Week:-
- Fire personnel will be in your local town giving out free 10 year smoke detectors & providing advice on fire safety in the home.
Monday 2nd Ballybay 12pm – 2pm
Tuesday 3rd Monaghan 12pm – 2pm
Wednesday 4th Castleblayney 12pm – 2pm
Thursday 5th Clones 12pm – 2pm
Friday 6th Carrickmacross 12pm – 2pm